Versions of the H.264/AVC standard include the following completed revisions, corrigenda, and amendments (dates are final approval dates in ITU-T, while final "International Standard" approval dates in ISO/IEC are somewhat different and slightly later in most cases). Each version represents changes relative to the next lower version that is integrated into the text. Bold faced versions are published (or planned to be published).
* 1. Version (May 2003) First approved version of H.264/AVC containing Baseline, Extended, and Main profiles.
* 2. Version (May 2004) Corrigendum containing various minor corrections.
* 3. Version (March 2005) Major addition to H.264/AVC containing the first Amendment providing Fidelity Range Extensions (FRExt) containing High, High 10, High 4:2:2, and High 4:4:4 profiles.
* 4. Version (September 2005) Corrigendum containing various minor corrections and adding three aspect ratio indicators.
* 5. Version (June 2006) Amendment consisting of removal of prior High 4:4:4 profile (processed as a corrigendum in ISO/IEC)
* 6. Version (June 2006) Amendment consisting of minor extensions like extended-gamut color space support (bundled with above-mentioned aspect ratio indicators in ISO/IEC).
* 7. Version (April 2007) Amendment containing the addition of High 4:4:4 Predictive and four Intra-only profiles (High 10 Intra, High 4:2:2 Intra, High 4:4:4 Intra, and CAVLC 4:4:4 Intra).
* 8. Version (November 2007) Major addition to H.264/AVC containing the Amendment for Scalable Video Coding (SVC) containing Scalable Baseline, Scalable High, and Scalable High Intra profiles.
* 9. Version (January 2009) Corrigendum containing minor corrections.
* Amendment containing Multiview Video Coding (MVC) - not yet completed; first draft approved October 2008, second draft approved February 2009, final draft approved July 2009